What is XML Sitemap?
XML stand’s for Extensible Mark-up language. In our website we have hundreds and thousands of pages, if you need to index our web pages, we have to give info to the Google. XML sitemaps are more important for really large websites. If you have hundreds of links or thousands of pages there is no problem to index but in some of the websites have lakhs and lakhs of pages. For example OLX, Amazon etc., so the XML sitemap helps to index these kinds of pages. we want, Google to crawl each and every essential page of your site. But Most of the time the pages end up without any internal links pointing to them, making them hard to find. XML site maps will act as a roadmap to show search engines what content is available and how to reach it.
If people search in Google, it will be displaying the most related results for the given search query. They are using website crawlers to organize, read and index information on the internet. XML sitemaps will make it easier for Google’s search engine crawlers to read the content on your website and index the pages accordingly. It will help to increases your chances of boosting the search engine optimization ranking of your site. An XML site map will tell the location of your website to search engine, when it was updated, the updating frequency, and the essential of the page as it’s related to other pages on your website. If you give without a proper sitemap, Google bots might think that it was as duplicate content, which will decrease your search engine optimization ranking.
We can generate the XML site map in WordPress by using plugins. All in one SEO is one of the most popular plugins for improving WordPress site’s in search engine optimization. This plugin helps to take care of all the technical aspects related to content and helps you to follow the keyword density and readability. It will also be used to create an XML sitemap.
- First, you have to log in to your WordPress dashboard.
- Then you have to click the All in One SEO option in the navigation menu.
- By clicking the All in one SEO you can go for feature manager.
- You will see the XML sitemaps option, you have to click the active button. There you find a message stating, “All in one SEO options updated”. Your sitemap will be created this time.
- Then you click the XML sitemap link in the All in one SEO for the navigation menu.
- You can choose the sitemap settings that you want. eg: Sitemap status, Filename Prefix, etc.
- Finally, you have to click the update sitemap button that helps to save your changes.
Submit XML site on Google Search Console
- First you have to sign in Google Search Console
- Then look at the side bar, there you find the your website. Select the particular website, that you want to add sitemap.
- In the left side bar, there you can find the “Site map” in index section. If you do not able to see the site map option you can expand the index.
- You can see add new site map on the top. There you can enter as sitemap.xml to complete the xml sitemap url.